To the left is a closeup of one of the 100KW tubes after wiping it down with cleaner. The intricate detail is clearly visible. This top glass section is about 18" tall. The non-glass bottom section extends about 4' down into a water cooling jacket. (Click on picture for larger version.)
The Blaw-Knox "diamond" has
|Looking up at the new standby
tower which is a 1/4 wave, shunt fed,
Space may be leased for other use on
this grounded tower. The antenna system was designed
by du Treil, Lundin & Rackley, Inc.
|A view of the bottom of the new tower
showing the details of the unipole lower
construction and the old WLW diamond
tower iin the background.
|Inside the tuning house, a single large vacuum
capacitor (white object in center) cancels the
inductive reactance of the tower. The tuning house
was built in 1928 and is actually the original tuning
house used before the Blaw-Knox diamond was erected.
The smaller vacuum capacitor at the upper right is for
detuning, obtaining a 30db reduction in re-radiation.
As an aside, because of the construction of the vacuum
cap, you can actully hear it "sing" to the picked up RF
from the main tower. It acts like an electrostatic speaker.
|New switching control rack allows
any transmitter to be connected to any
tower. The unit can also be remote
|Back of switching control, skillfully
wired and laced by Jacor CE
Ted Kendrick, who is responsible for WSAI.
|The actual antenna switches are located
in the back room where the old 500KW
transmitter is located. It allows any of the
four transmitters to be connected to either
of the two towers.
|WLW Substation (3 phase)|
This is the one and only manual
Egg Shaped Resistor
The "baking rack" looking
|Accessed||times since October 20, 1998.|